Thursday, November 17, 2011

Michael Buble

If anyone needed more proof that mainstream music and good music aren't mutually exclusive, I'm here to prove you wrong yet again with none other than my favorite Frank Sinatra "continuation" (sorry, Frank Sinatra Jr. It's really your fault.) Unless I'm sorely misunderstanding the guy, Buble is trying to bring the Rat Pack era back into the limelight. And amazingly succeeding. Here's a couple videos to prove my point:



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfAZQyPcz-I&feature=related
Beyond the Sea (originally sung by Bobby Darin)
I was never a huge Bobby Darin's singing (to be specific, I really hate his phrasing and randomized grunts), but it can't be argued that Beyond the Sea isn't a classic (my favorite implementation of the song being the trailers for Bioshock) and Michael Buble brings it roaring back it life. Although, I'm not a huge fan of Buble almost trying to emulate Darin's voice and style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ttW2z2IWGI&feature=related
Moondance (originally sung by
Moondance is in my humble opinion one of the best jazz melodies of all time. I'm a huge fan of dynamic songs, and Moondance doesn't disappoint, going from almost too quiet for the human ear to absolutely blaring. I'm particularly fond of the fantastic drumming and trumpet playing. Buble's certainly got a great band behind him, and this just proves it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYgqZYQYzwA
Come Fly With Me (Originally sung by Frank Sinatra)
When writing my Top 20 songs, I knew that there would be certain songs I'd just kick myself over not including. This is one of those. It's one of my favorite jazz songs of all time. This video of Buble performing the song just makes me smile simply because 1. the dude has showmanship skills. and 2. Girls are SCREAMING in the front row as if they were watching Justin Bieber, and it's jazz! But what I like BEST about Buble singing it is that he makes the song HIS. He's not just covering Sinatra, he's basically gone and written a whole new song.

1 comment:

  1. Don't know if I'm necessarily a fan of Michael Buble, a certain lispiness of his diction gets to me, but you're right, he is definitely singing in his own style apart from that of Mr. Sinatra, which I'm a fan of. Definitely a great singer though.

    ReplyDelete